Display Garden

There are no archival pictures of this part of the property but we know that there were extensive vegetable and cutting gardens here. Produce from those gardens was delivered to the mansion, and sent by train to the family’s winter home in Boston. Garden staff still pick from the cutting garden for arrangements (created weekly by talented volunteers) displayed in the mansion. Blithewold’s horticulturists also use the Display Garden to demonstrate new plants and combinations as well as sustainable, pollinator-friendly gardening practices.


Three of Blithewold’s 1901 Lord & Burnham greenhouses, originally used for fruit and flower production, were restored in 2005. The footprint of the Palm and Rose houses that were taken down in the 1930’s, is traced in brick to the east of the remaining buildings. Over the winter, the greenhouses are heated and filled with Blithewold’s collection of tender plants, cuttings and seedlings of annuals, tender perennials, and vegetables grown for Blithewold’s many gardens. The head house still functions as a working potting shed as well as the garden staff’s office.




The vegetable garden is no longer plowed by a team of horses but it does feed Blithewold staff and volunteers as well as local needy families. Over 1000lbs of produce was donated to the East Bay Food Pantry over the first season of our partnership. The garden beautifully showcases the season’s succession of vegetables, companion planting, different mulches, planting methods, and staking techniques.


View Display Garden Plants List

View Display Garden on Pinterest


    From Our Blog

  • Blithewold Birds: The Familiar Faces of Year-round Residents (Nov 06, '15)
    Blithewold’s grounds are known for its spectacular plant specimens of many different shapes, colors, and varieties. Predictably, as flora and fauna often come hand and hand, Blithewold is home to hundreds of birds during all seasons in the East Bay. The days have begun to shorten and the temperatures are dipping. By now, Blithewold has […]
  • The Pardees (Oct 27, '15)
    The name Pardee is derived from the French oath par Dieu which was Anglicised to Parde, Pardy, Pardie, and ultimately to Pardieu and Pardee. Around 1530 these families were living in the Normandy region of France. Religious persecution drove the families across the Channel to the south of England, and in the 1580s John Pardee […]
  • Cranborne Manor, Dorset, England (Sep 30, '15)
    Blithewold Mansion was built in 1907 on the site of an earlier house which burned in the summer of 1906.  The new house was designed in an English Country Manor style. It has often been said that the west façade of Blithewold is a copy of an English Country Manor in Dorset, England, and there […]
Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail
List icon Sign up for Our E-Newsletter
Email Newsletters you can trust