Blithewold Mansion, Gardens and Arboretum is a 33 acre historic estate located on the shores of Narragansett Bay overlooking the harbor in Bristol, Rhode Island. Created by Pennsylvania coal magnate Augustus Van Wickle’s wife Bessie and daughter Marjorie, several unique garden areas were established and hundreds of exotic and native trees were planted with purpose. Currently managed by a non-profit organization whose mission is to preserve New England’s finest garden estate through excellence in horticulture and historic preservation, and by our example to teach and inspire others, we accommodate more than 30,000 visitors annually.
The Groundskeeper works year round/full time as a part of the Horticultural Staff. This key member physically works using a broad range of landscape practices and techniques in order to achieve the highest standards of horticulture. The position reports to and works under the Director of Horticulture.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Perform a wide range of horticultural and landscape maintenance tasks including, but not limited to: planting, mulching, watering, weeding, pruning, and mowing
- Perform landscape construction including, but not limited to: grading, installation of paths, creating planting beds, and irrigation
- Operation of trade-associated hand tools and power equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Engaging and educating visitors to promote Blithewold’s mission
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as required
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of hands-on, relevant horticultural work experience
- An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of landscape maintenance
- Proficient in operating and knowledge of safe operating procedures for various types of landscape maintenance equipment
- Strong work ethic
- Must be able to lift, carry and move 50lbs
- Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Must be able to work outdoors in all seasonal extremes
- Valid Driver’s License
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package, including Individual/Family Health and Dental Plan, 4% Employer Match Retirement Program after one year, and Paid Vacation, Sick and Holidays
Contact: Mail or E-mail a resume including a letter of intent, qualifications and the names of 3 references with phone numbers to Fred Perry, Director of Horticulture, Blithewold Inc., 101 Ferry Rd. Bristol, RI 02809.
E-mail: [email protected]