Bristol Phoenix, Tuesday, June 22, 1897: Opening of a New Golf Club House

Bristol Phoenix *Article from the Bristol Phoenix, Tuesday, June 22, 1897*

The formal opening of the new club house of the Bristol Golf Club took place Saturday afternoon and proved to be a very pleasant occasion. The president of the club, Mr. A.S. Van Wickle, and Mrs. Van Wickle were assisted in receiving by Mrs. W. Fred Williams and Mrs. H.H. Cabot. The reception continued from three to six, during which time the members of the club and many of their friends, including members of the Agawam Hunt Club of Providence, were present. Caterer Read prepared a delicious luncheon, and Mrs. F.A. King and Miss Amy Hayes poured the tea. The success of the occasion is largely due to the house committee, Messrs. Isaac F. Williams, F.A. King and Wm. G. Low, Jr, who were ably assisted by the club’s efficient secretary and treasurer, Mr. H.H. Cabot.

During the afternoon the lady members of the club presented to it a silver chafing dish, salad fork and spoon and a five o’clock tea kettle and lamp.

The new club house has a very slightly location on a knoll in the meadow south of “Blithewold,” on Ferry Hill. A pebble drive leads to the club house from the Ferry road, and considerable grading and landscape work has been done around the house. The building is of colonial style, of good size, and the exterior is painted in gray with trimmings of white. The main entrance is on the east side covered by a portico, surmounted by a flagstaff. Covered verandas, nine feet in width, are on the north, west and south sides of the building, from which spectators can obtain a good view of the golf links as well as of the beautiful scenery of the shores and bay.

Bristol PhoenixThe interior of the club house has been finished in very tasteful colonial style. The wood-work of the main room on the ground floor is finished in olive green, and the walls in deep yellow, and the ceiling is natural yellow pine. On the north side of the room is a large fireplace of rustic stone, with andirons, crane, etc. Over the fireplace is cut in the mantel the inscription “Play and be merry.”

The house has wide windows and spacious Dutch doors. Old style pictures and ancient crockery adorn the walls and Saturday the room was profusely decorated with flowers. On the north side of the building is the ladies’ room with lockers, etc., and on the south side the gentlemen’s retiring room and lockers, with the addition of a shower bath. In the northeast corner of the first floor is a small kitchen. The second floor is devoted to a billiard room and has a combination table, and also an alcove which can be used as a room for whist or other games.

The exterior of the building was very tastefully decorated Saturday with yachting flags and bunting.  The house is the gift of Mr. Van Wickle to the club. The builder is John J. Doran, and the architect is Wallis E. Howe.

The Bristol Golf Club was organized a year ago at the residence of Mrs. Alexander Perry on High street. The officers for the past year were:  President, Augustus S. Van Wickle; secretary and treasurer, Harry H. Cabot; executive committee, Fred S. Minott, Mark A. DeW. Howe, and Dr. W. Fred Williams.

The green committee having charge of the links is as follows: William Hodgkinson, L.L. De Bost, and M.A. DeW. Howe.